Thursday, June 28, 2012

Keep going

Today I had a rough run. I was scheduled to run 8 miles. At mile 2 I was ready to turn around. I didn't think I would make it past 2.5, but I trudged on. I thought about some of the things I read in Born to Run. The author's coach said that if it seemed like work, you are working too hard. I slowed my pace, picked my head up and focused on the beautiful scenery. I also thought about the unifying thread Christopher McDougall noticed between the Tarahumana and the Ultrarunners: joy. As I ran I made an effort to stay positive, smile at my fellow runners and concentrate on the fact that I am doing this for fun! I run because I love it I like it i love the way I feel when I am done.

Not all runs are that painful, but I was also careless about my training this week. For the past couple of weeks I've been hitting a lot of PRs in training and it feels and looks good. But, I haven't taken great care of myself. I haven't taken a rest day since Sunday and all of my workouts have been leg-intensive. I will rest tomorrow and Saturday and do my last Lithe class Sunday.

I thought that running was supposed to give me more energy, but I am so tired! At the end of today's run I marveled that I ran only a third od a marathon and the half-marathon I'm training for is an additional FIVE miles. Man, runners be crazy. Actually, I saw a few crazy people in runner shape today and, yeah, runners are crazy or crazy people run. Either way, the shoe fits!

Week of 6/23 - 6/30:
 Monday: 60 reverse lunges, 10 pushups
Tuesday: hill work, total of 5.3 miles
Wednesday: Lithe Method class, Lithe 101
Thursday: long run, 8.1 miles
Friday: rest
Saturday: rest
Sunday: Lithe Method, Armistice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spill it!