Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Running Posture

I'm currently reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall and LOVING it. It is really well written, has some pretty incredible facts and details and great stories. The book also includes tips, but not in a pushy way. The author was re-learning how to run in the book, so the tips are part of the story. I like this method of delivery.



One of the tips has to do with running posture. I feel like I have a good running stride: short, feet under hips, knees up. I also have terrible posture. By the end of a run I feel like I'm the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Today I focused on keeping my chest out, hips tucked and shoulders back and down. It required a lot of mental energy!

It was extremely awkward! I felt like I was running in place or like I had a stick up my butt, but I think it will be a positive change. I felt my lungs open up and I had an easier time breathing. Even thought it seemed like I was running slower, I was pretty consistent with my usual jogging pace.

One of my favorite things about running, and where I run, is the people watching. I do notice the runners I see most and the runners who look like marathoners run with a nice straight back. I'm going to try to keep it up.

Here are some more resources on proper posture for running:
Runner's World
Livestrong
Women's Running

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spill it!